Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ant project

Hi my name is Samantha. I am a member of the Alchemist Science Club. My project is about ants. I been working on it last year. I been searching about them on Google and reading books about ants. This year I plan to design a project to study ant's behavior.


This is the type of ant Im working on.I got some info on this ant.First this ant is called a fire ant.Here is some info on there apperence
The bodies of fire ants, like all insects' bodies, are divided into three sections: the head, the thorax, and the abdomen, with three pairs of legs and a pair of antennae. Fire ants can be distinguished from other ants by their copper brown head and body with a darker abdomen. The worker ants are blackish to reddish, and their size varies from 2 mm to 6 mm (0.12 in to 0.24 in). These different sizes of the ants can all be present in the same nest.
Solenopsis spp. ants can be identified by three body features—a pedicel with two nodes, an unarmed propodeum, and antennae with 10 segments and a two-segmented club.
Many ants bite, and formicine ants can cause irritation by spraying formic acid; myrmecine ants like fire ants have a dedicated venom-injecting sting which injects an alkaloid venom as well as mandibles.Now this is some info about the Queen.
A queen is generally the largest individual in the colony. Her primary function is reproduction; she may live for 6 to 7 years and can produce up to 3,500 eggs in a single day. That is roughly 9 million in her lifetime. This is how the Queen looks like Now I will type how fire ants help the world.Mr.R said its related on what we are focusing on.
Fire ants are extremely effective in controlling plant-feeding insects and arthropods such as boll weevils in cotton and stinkbugs in soybean. Under some conditions fire ants keep the pest populations below the level of economic loss providing a financial savings to growers.
Fire ants can benefit such crops as cotton, sugarcane, and soybean because they aerate and break up the soil making more water and nutrients available to the plants.

13 comments:

  1. Really cool samantha.I know how to post pictures on ur post.Go to google and copy a picture of whatever u want.then paste it on your post.Hoped i help.BTW this a perfect project 4 u cause wats funny is ur name has ANT in it (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heip me with that.please reply.I really need your help right now.

      Delete
    2. I need help with posting pictures

      Delete
    3. dude are you on the computer anyways. I really need help here

      Delete
  2. I hope you finish it becaus I want to know how they behavior is like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im sorry to all the people that been waiting for so looong to acomplish this.Im putting great effort on this project that I like.so if you want to know about ants just be patient please.I want it to be good.Thank you

    ReplyDelete